Road Block

A few weeks ago I was just getting ready to paint and our power went out. It was the middle of the day, it had been raining, and it wasn't very light in the house. At first I didn't want to paint in the dark, but as my eye got accustom to the dark I decided I could do it. A few hours went by and I needed to leave to pick my kids up from the bus stop (it is 3 miles from my home). One side of the garage was open so I decided to take our big van so that I didn't have to try and open the other side. As I drove up the road, I could see some police lights at the intersection were I needed to turn. I could see that there were some power lines down. I decided that rather than turning around to go around the block I would just turn and take a shortcut through the field that was near the intersection. As I was traveling part way through the muddy field I see the Sheriff roll down his window and motion for me to do the same. He told me the field was private property and I couldn't use it for my shortcut. I had to turn around. I told him I had used the short cut before and had even followed a school bus through the field. I also mentioned that if I had to turn around I would get stuck in the mud. He wasn't deterred so I had to turn my big van around. I had almost made it but at the last stretch I was completely stuck. I didn't know what to do. I called my son and asked him to go a different route to pick the kids up from the bus stop, and then I told him I might call him back if I needed him to help me get out of the mud. Eventually the sheriff decided that he could help me. He pulled out what looked like a bran new tow rope and I had to hook it onto the van. As he was helping me he said "didn't you see the lights?" I said "yes, but I needed to get down that road to pick my kids up." I could tell he thought I was a complete air head driving around his road block. I have thought a lot about this situation since it happened. I know there have been numerous times where I have encountered "invisible" road blocks in my life. Sometimes pride has prevented me from making the smart move and just turning around. Have there been times when someone has had to come and rescue me from invisible mud that I have gotten stuck in? absolutely. I hope that I will someday have the strength to see the road blocks in my life and turn around, rather than thinking I know a shortcut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodby to Jasper

Seattle and Gratitude....a life lesson