Broken Arms and Birthdays!

On Wednesday Spencer turned 11! He is such a sweet and considerate boy and I love him so much. I love how thoughtful he is. When he knows that I don't feel well or I am tired he will tell me to sit down and he'll help me with whatever cleaning I need to do. He loves to help me prepare dinner and always gives me good suggestions for meals.

We decided to invite Grandma and Grandpa Hepworth over for cake and ice cream in the afternoon since Spencer had scouts that night. They came over after lunch and we sang to Spencer and he blew out his candles.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Brig was standing next to me on a bar stool as I began to dish up the cake to pass out. Grandma was helping with the ice cream. I just got the birthday boy his piece of cake and was going to get one for Brig. As I turned to hand it to him the bar stool slid and he fell off. I tried to catch him but I wasn't quick enough. When I picked him up he was holding his arm and I looked at it. I could see that it was broken. He screamed and cried. None of my other children have ever even broken a bone so I wasn't sure what I should do. Fortunately Grandma has experience in this area. She told me the doctors office to go to and said she would call ahead while I drove there. I was nervous about driving Brig. He was so sad and I wished that I could hold him but I knew I couldn't hold him and drive. Just before I pulled out Tyler came and went with me. I was so grateful. I held my screaming boy while Tyler drove us to the doctor. I figured they would cast him up and we could head home. Well the doctor came and talked to us and told us it was a really bad fracture to his humerus bone where it connects to his elbow. He said it was going to need surgery. He said I'd like to do the surgery tonight. He told me to head over to the hospital and they would try to get him back there around 6. Well I had to make cupcakes for Spencer to take to scouts to celebrate his birthday so I called Grandma and she whipped up the cupcakes for me. I went and checked in at the surgery center and then I ran home to make frosting for the cupcakes and tell the kids what was going on. Brig and I went back to the surgery center and waited and waited and then the doctor came and said the surgery before ours was taking a long time and they didn't know when it would be finished. He asked if I'd rather wait until morning. I said morning would be better so they scheduled the surgery for the next day at 7 AM. That worked so I could finally feed Brig some food :) As we drove home I was talking to my sister Leslie and she reminded me that Brig was allergic to penicillin. I had completely forgotten and I know if they had taken him back into surgery he would have had a severe allergic reaction to the medication. I consider it a blessing that the surgery didn't take place until the next morning. The surgery took longer then they thought it would and they had to put 3 pins in Brig's arm. I love my poor little Brig I hope his arm heals quickly! I don't know how we are going to go to the pool now.

Photobucket

Comments

Heather said…
That is so sad!! It is so hard when your kids get hurt or sick! Happy Birthday to Spencer! Hopefully he still had a good day with all of that happening:)

Popular posts from this blog

Goodby to Jasper

Seattle and Gratitude....a life lesson