In a good placeI don't know if I mentioned before but I am now the secretary in the Relief Society Presidency at our Church. The RS president used to help with the LDS 12 step program in our area. One time a few years ago when I questioned if I should let my brother come and live with me I called her. She was so level headed and gave me great advice. I remember her asking me what I was going to do when he came home high. Would I kick him out? I know whatever I did would certainly affect my kids, and I didn't really want that kind of influence on them. I remember I kept saying "what if I tell him he can't live with me and he dies, then it will be my fault." It is so interesting how time and experience can change your perspective.I am at a point in my life where I know that it doesn't matter what I say or do, my brother is going to do what he wants to do. I pray for him and I often reflect on the Serenity prayer (this is the same prayer they use at AA) God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. I love my brother so much and I would do anything in my power to change the choices that he is making but I recognize that I am powerless. I do put my trust in a higher power though. I know that my prayers are heard. I don't know what is to happen in my brothers life, but I have peace in my own. I still have hope that he will change, not very much hope, but I realized that I can't really ever lose hope that a miracle will happen.
ben&E

Comments

Heather said…
It is so hard to see people in our families make choices that we know aren't good for them. It's true, all we can do is pray for them, love them, and hope they will make the right choices one day. It's hard to watch though especially when it is family, I know....

Popular posts from this blog

Goodby to Jasper

Seattle and Gratitude....a life lesson